Monday, August 18, 2008

El Morro

So like every other pretentious (look it up) person on the planet, I've decided to start a blog.  Here's how the thought process went...
-the world will be a better place if more people knew what the heck is going on in my brain
-I'm prepared to tell everyone...but no one asks.  I wonder why not?
-There must be another way...I could shout it out in quiet coffee shops, or print up literature.....Or I could start a blog.

Here I am.  I'm sure you all understand.  
Disclaimer: I will most likely have two very different kinds of entries in here.  The first being serious and the second being lighthearted, sarcastic, and meaningless.  

First an explanation.  El Morro.  What is it?
El Morro is a Puerto Rican fort that was built in San Juan.  It was built in the mid 1500's and helped protect Puerto Rico from sea attacks for a few hundred years.  Now it's like a museum.  You can walk through it and they even have a little shop where you can buy mementos.  Even though I'm the whitest guy I know, I am half Puerto Rican (Mom's side).  My wife and I visited Puerto Rico three years ago and I got the opportunity to visit El Morro.  I fell in love with it.  It had a majestic old feel to it.  From the top you could see for miles out to sea and view most of Old San Juan.  Pretty sweet.  

I've been married to an amazing beautiful woman named Betsy for the past 9 years.  We have two awesome kids.  Jessica (7) and Jaden (2). I'm also a youth pastor for the Vineyard Church in Elgin, IL.  The past year or so I've felt more and more my responsibility as protector.  Not only over my family, but over my students.  I am the first line of defense over those under my care, and I will do whatever it takes to protect them and keep them from harm.  Kind of like the people manning that fort.  So there you are.  

El Morro.  

No comments: